Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tired of Belts



Ok, so it’s the last weekend to shop for Christmas/ Kwanzaa gifts, I get it. You don't know what to get your man. You need advice, maybe I can help. He’s tired of wallets, ties, and gift certificates. Your excuse is either he has everything or he wants nothing. This is why the man is usually the one who suffers during this gift giving escapade. Men are men, so we may not complain or make a big deal about the garbage gift we receive (not all are garbage, said that for affect). We take the gift and throw it with the rest of the “gifts we will never use.” Some women take advantage of the fact that we don't complain. I interpret it as some women are simply lazy. Not lazy to the extent that they will not spend an entire day out on the town shopping, but lazy in that they are not willing to push themselves to come up with a unique, thoughtful gift. Ladies, we appreciate the hours you put in, but as the saying goes, “Work smart, not hard.”

A week ago, I observed Secret Santa gift exchanging. The gifts that the women gave each had them very excited. Lots of hugging, kissing and smiling. The men, well they smiled and were just happy to receive their cologne, scarves and pocket knives. Since my secret Santa ran up on me earlier that week and damn near snatched the tag out my shirt to see my size, I already knew I was getting a shirt. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. But there is usually not much intrigue involved. If you know me, you know I'm pretty low maintenance. I don't ask for much. But if you do get a gift, I like practical, creative gifts. I’m pretty sure most men feel the same way.

One of the best gifts I ever received was from my ex-girlfriend. The gift served so many purposes. First, it was not a Christmas gift. It was a “just-because” gift. Those types usually mean more than any other type of gift. I know it’s the holidays so just-because gifts are not applicable at this moment. But women can still think of a way to make it more special than just a holiday gift. What my ex gave me was a two-item gift, but they were presented at the same time. Delivered in a nice, little gift bag, it was not overtly feminine, but something I could walk in the street with if I needed to transport it. Another key thing about the gift is that the relationship was still fresh. She hadn't known me a long time. So I was surprised, very risky. I hate surprises, unless they are great ones. The first part of the gift was a framed picture of her. From our conversations and interactions, she knew how I loved beauty (which she represented) and she knew how much I liked pictures. I don't remember if I asked for the picture, but I didn't expect it. This was pre-Black Planet and picture phone days (damn I just aged myself), so having pictures readily available was not the case (these kids are spoiled today). The second part of the gift is what sealed the deal. Like most couples we had our "favorite" conversations. You know those favorite conversations. "Aye girl, what's your favorite color...blue? Stop playing, that's mine too, I knew it! We're compatible." So during these talks she found out my favorite slow song was "Two Occasions" by Babyface and the Deele. I’m sure you can guess what else was in the bag. You guessed correctly, she bought me the Deele “Eyes of a Stranger” cd that featured this song. I totally forgot that we had the conversation. Of course I gave her all I had in the bedroom that night (lol, that means I was happy).

The moral of the story is that similar to women, the simple things matter to us men as well. We like a lot of money to be spent on us, but I recommend women buy gifts that will resonate over a long period of time. If you guys ever split, he will always remember that you were thoughtful. You will raise his standards. When it comes to gift giving, women after you will forever be judged on their creativity. It takes no effort to buy an expensive watch. A trip to the Bahamas can easily be purchased. Unless the woman gives a thousand pints of blood to earn the money, those gifts only mean what the guy probably already knows, that she has money. Depending on when you read this post, you have nine days left, more than enough time to be imaginative. If your gift is impressive, maybe you’ll get a nice gift back, next year.

Fellas, if you received a great gift in the past, tell the world your story in the comment section. Ladies, if you believe you have given great gifts in the past, save a relationship, please share. Happy Holidays and travel safely.

6 comments:

  1. This is a much needed post. Great job!

    Women should pay close attention to the things he already has to see the type of things he wants/needs. For example, my ex went to the gym regularly. He had this tattered, faded, gym bag he would bring. He never complained about it, but honestly it was barely holding together. I knew he would have a hard time parting with it, so one day I surprised him with a really nice, sleek, all black Nike duffle bag. The next time he went, he was even more motivated and spent a few extra minutes filling the bag up with absolutely everything he could possibly need at the gym. Lol.

    Secondly, avoid buying him clothes unless you are SURE he loves your taste AND that your taste is HIS taste. If this is the case, have the type of communication with him where he can honestly tell you which pieces he likes or doesnt like. Save your reciepts, its nothing personal. Dont buy new styles you want him to try. Buy clothes that are classic and forever trendy. something thats always going to work. Men who are attractive look amazingly sexy in understated but high quality attire.

    Dont be stingy. Its really ugly. If you're hard up, you could save the money you use to go out for lunch everyday, bring a lunch with you (or eat leftovers from last night) for 2 weeks and get him a respectable gift. Although you dont want to seem motherly, you have to take care of him. He needs to feel spoiled, everyone does. And you should be buying him things all the time, not exclusively during holidays. When you shop for yourself, are you so self-absorbed that you didnt see anything he needed? Hope not. P.S. If you like namebrand ish, get him a flashy accessory. A Gucci wallet runs $250 (some are cheaper). Get a nice/simple one for when you guys go out.

    Last thing. Dont expect a song and dance everytime you buy him something. Buy it because you want him to have it, not because you guys are keeping score on gifts. Just stay quiet and if he uses it, then you know you made a good choice. Now if he calls his best friend and mentions it... TOUCHDOWN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't going to comment… b/c well…. I don’t have a man, bitter much?… not really but I will be in emotional hiding and not coming out until AFTER V-DAY! Lol

    now… allow me to be transparent…(P.S. I’m an open book to you guys… darn shame, lol) This blog and life has allowed me to realize my flaws in my last relationship GASP… I’m not perfect!!! ???

    I’m (or so I’ve been told) a VERY thoughtful gift/card giver. I put serious thought and consideration in my every thought and action. I’ve only been stumped over one person, my ex. He literally had EVERYTHING; he was not the “wait until an occasion” type to get something. No sooner than I’d see a commercial and think, THAT’S PERFECT, would he be walking in the door with a bag with guess what in it? “The gift”… back to the drawing board I went.
    Side bar: introspection allows me to recognize it was my own insecurities to please him or measure up to what I thought HIS standards of ME where, so I put pressure on myself.

    As for gifts I always gave what he didn’t know he needed, and I LOVE themes. One occasion I gave a duo a name brand (b/c he cared) yearly leather bound planner to help organize his meetings to start his company and a leather money clip/business card holder. He loved them and my confidence in gift giving (to him) shot up. The BIG challenge was getting him clothes. He had style but was heavy in the jersey trend. He was also a big guy and didn’t “think” he would look good in “small guy” styles. I got him a few shirt sweater combos. He didn’t say anything when He opened it and I was crushed. But whenever I looked up and he was going anywhere I knew he was excited about going, he wore it and got TONS of compliments and he always gave me my props and compliments, EGO back up! Lol I then became the “What do you think about this?” go to person. There’s nothing like giving your mate a gift that they love!

    So Es we agree (Damn it I want my badge!!!) simple things do matter, don’t over think it and like my Shero said… Keep your receipts! Lol
    The only thing I’d disagree with, Es, is women don’t just want simple we want the other “S” NO not THAT “S” get your mind out of the gutter… we want SENTIMENTAL gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been one to attempt to think outside of the box, and with that I have a gift that I gave someone that I believe fits the sentiment that this post is trying to get across. We were not in a relationship quite yet but we were exploring the possibilities and getting to know each other on a more personal level. He spent a lot of time coaching a high school basketball team which was a constant complaint of his due to the long hours and no real pay, yet he went back everyday and put his all into it which obviously showed me that he loved it. With that being said, Valentines Day was approaching, and as stated earlier, we weren't a couple so there were no expectations, but I wanted to do something nice to show that I was truly interested. I sent him a whistle with the nic name that his players gave him engraved on it. Small gesture, I believe it was less than $20 with shipping, but the response was priceless. Even his roommate called me to say how awesome he thought the gift was. You would have thought I bought him a car how he reacted. All in all it was the thoughtfulness that I believe synched the deal.

    Simple yet effective ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, agreed, agreed! In my experiences, this has always been a touchy subject. Some girlfriends/females got it. Some didn't. As already stated in the blog and subsequent replies (but repetition is key), ladies, the best thing you can do is listen and pay attention! The "Favorites" convo. The "I really like..." convo. The "I really NEED..." convos! Some things we'll make pretty obvious. Others may take a bit of detective work. But a well-thought gift or plan pays dividends. Everybody's a winner! I know for a fact that women love seeing their men happy, especially when they're the cause for such happiness.

    Samantha, I agree with the clothing issue. Ladies......unless your man has taken you inside a store and showed you EXACTLY what he wanted, stay away from buying clothes! Men get it, which is why we just let you pick stuff up while we wait at the register to pay, or better yet, just give you some cash and send you on your way! We know betta.

    It's not all about spending money, either. Actually, its not about spending money at all. You think we give a damn if you found them hundred fifty dolla sneakers we were drooling over for half price?? Shit, if anything, you just showed us two things: 1, you thought about the gift, and 2, you know how to hustle (important quality to us hood types)! To Anonymous......the whistle? Dope. Well done. You, too Pabvon. Which leads me to my final point......

    Ladies, most men will not show too much of an expression when receiving gifts - not right away anyway. Unfortunately, problems arise from a woman's desire to see some type of reaction to validate her ability (or inability) to find quality gifts for her mate. If we don't like it, you'll probably never see it again after we open it, unless you find yourself doing spring cleaning. But if we do like it, you'll see us wearing or using it often, and trust when I say that every time we do wear or use it, we will think of you. A bonus for you guys, right? Lol!

    By the way, I got a pair of Dr. Dre Beatz headphones coming to me. Why? Cause she listened. Yeah, I was raving to her about em, but it was still thoughtful, and I'm excited to get em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last post was me, not anonymous. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My story speaks to these two tips... Don't listen to others about what you should buy your man and don't try to match the value of his gift.

    A few years ago, I decided on my own what I would buy my boyfriend at the time, I went out bought it and then told a close friend what it was. It was a Sean John hoodie. Yes, it was a risky gift cause it was clothes but he had been complaining for weeks that he didn't have anything to wear during those days that were cold, but not cold enough for a heavy coat. He preferred to dress in layers, so I knew a good quality hoodie was what he needed.

    I was excited about the gift, I was confident that he would love it, but my mistake was telling my friend. Unbeknown to me, she already knew what he bought me and her response was "It's not enough. He spent more money than that." I valued my older friend's opinion so I went against my instincts and racked my brain for more gift ideas. I thought of two more things to buy, two things that I definitely over thought and were such a bad idea to buy that I won't even mention what they were.

    So Christmas arrives and I have his gift wrapped in 3 separate boxes. I give him the two that I wasn't so sure about first. I got a smile from him but it was clearly fake. It was one of those "Gee, thanks...I think" kinda smiles. I didn't react or say anything, I just handed him the third box which had the Sean John hoodie in it and as he opened it his fake smile turned into a genuine one! He LOVED it! He said it was exactly what he needed and it matched his style. He even put it on and wore it around the house the rest of the day. Later, he said to me "The hoodie was all I needed" and I definitely agreed.

    So this story proves what Es and everyone else have said, it's the thought you put into it that matters, not the value of it. And ladies, no matter what your friends tell you, remember that you know (or least you should know) your man better than they do.

    Oh by the way, I HATED the "expensive" gift he bought me and I made him return it. It was a Coach watch with no numbers on it. I told him a few weeks before that I HATE watches with no numbers on it, but he bought it anyway just cause it was Coach. I mean last I checked Coach and other name brands make watches with numbers on it, so why get me one that you knew I wouldn't like? Sigh... that should've been an early warning sign of the drama that was ahead for us but I ignored it. I think my ex would've benefited from reading Es' post. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion. Also, if you have a question or potential blog topic you would like addressed, dont hesitate to email me at swild21@gmail.com. Also, it's ok to follow me on twitter @EsWild21