Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Does There Have To Be A Balance



February 14, 2010. I remember the day as if it were yesterday. For obvious reasons, this was one of the best days of the year. With a smile on my face as I reminisce, I’m wondering, how did you guys spend your Valentine’s Day? Fellas, were you out having candlelit dinners anticipating good loving as she orders from the fucking side of the menu? Ladies, were you surprised and feeling moist when you received those Godiva chocolate dipped strawberries. Me? I didn’t make it to a fancy restaurant. I did not take a lady friend on a helicopter tour of the city. I was in the house. Don’t feel sorry for me though, I was enjoying myself. The 2010 NBA All-Star Game satisfied my needs this special day. Although I was not with a significant other, I was definitely spending quality time. This brings me to my confession. I’m not speaking of the confession about me not believing in Valentine’s Day (yes it is true, but we can discuss that later). I’m confessing that occasionally I plan my social life around sporting events. Some guys will concur, some will not. I say this because for a while, I thought this was normal amongst guys. But as I’ve grown, I realized that I am somewhat extreme.

I love the three major American sports: Baseball, Football and Basketball. I also often enjoy golf when Tiger is playing, tennis when Venus and Serena are playing (especially Serena), good boxing matches, poker (guess it’s a sport since it’s now on ESPN), and random Olympic games. Basically, I watch sports 365 days a year and 366 in a leap year. No such thing as an off-season for me. Unless a guy is a sports’ analyst or he writes for the New York Daily News sports section, I think I have this sports addiction thing on lock.

I’m not sure that I want to be cured, but they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Hmmm, let’s see, “Dana (dime by some standards) and a movie or Eagles vs Giants NFC Championship Game”. Dana loses 11 times out of ten. I have a problem. Although that was hypothetical, it’s very comparable to some experiences that I have had in the past. A few years ago, my ex came to visit expecting to hang out that day. I expected us to hang out as well. I didn’t tell her about the baseball game because I figured the game would be off by the time she arrived. Guess what, the game went 18 innings. Me? I’m glued to the television. She could not understand this for the life of her. She stormed out upset. I didn’t even notice that she exited. That probably took some years off our relationship….well, maybe some days. I have a problem. In summary, if I know a good game is coming on, I’m not guaranteeing my presence. I will say anything to avoid the tension. If a woman asks me to do something on a specific day and I respond “well let me see how I feel”, that means she should check the sports television schedule and come up with alternate day and time.

Maybe some of the male readers will comment on where they are with this issue. Like previously stated, I believe most guys suffer from this condition as bad as me. So ladies, unless you are trying to date me, this is great news. This means that there is considerable time for you to spend with your guy. But, if you are trying to date someone similar to me, you better get creative. Its not easy to pull that remote out of a guys hand while he’s watching “his” game. Yeah, the strip tease works, but only for so long. A woman can possibly perform sexual acts, but will he be totally into it. That will lead to bigger issues. I’m sure you women can conjure up something though.

Please note, Thursday, October 7, 2010 will be an historic day. I know I’m somewhat late, but my new Time Warner HD DVR box arrives. Maybe this will ease the tension. Maybe not. I will probably complain that the game is not live. By the way, the DVR is a 3 month trial. Good luck!

11 comments:

  1. you're so ridiculous and this is so hilarious! only because to know you is to love you...and I'm not dating you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a sports junkie, like EST, but I LOVE Football, so Sunday is pretty much off the calendar for the ladies. When the San Antonio Spurs are on you can X out 3 hours of the day as well. It's easy for ladies, just carve out time AROUND regularly scheduled sports programming. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe u haven't found a woman that you'd rather be with than watch sports. There's nothing wrong with your addiction to sports. If you choose sports over a female than that female is not the one.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, that may be the problem. But for the women that have this problem with the man they are with, is it that simple. Should we suggest to them that they are not the one just because their man rather watches Kobe vs Lebron than go to a lounge with them. Would you tell this to an alcoholic? Maybe she isn't the one because you choose liquor over her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great topic:-D And it came at a perfect time...

    In my opinion, a man deserves to have something he's into. Most women expect that a man will be sooooo captivated by their charm, that all his other interests will come second to her. They want to leave him with nothing... but her. Lol.

    However, you have to make an exception (at least once) to show her that you value her. Pick a game (when your team plays the worst team in the league) and communicate to her that you were going to watch this game, but you want to spend time with her so bad, that you will skip it and do something with her. Its a statement gesture. She'll be ecstatic! And you'll never have to do it again. Women dont mind sports, they mind feeling unimportant.

    PS. Sports ran my ex's life. But he was a great guy and took me with him to professional games, football parties, and alot of times we'd just sit and watch them together. Of course I yapped the whole time, but I learned a thing or two. And for the past three years I've organized my work schedule around my favorite team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha, you absolutely correct. Its definitely important that the woman knows her value to her man. And there are some games that I wont watch, so I would never choose a wack game over the woman unless of course I dont want to be bothered by her too. And by choice i didn't mention the woman who loves sports or even the woman that will watch with her guy. This definitely helps more times than not. But it can back fire if she's the obnoxious sports fan friend that we all have. Wants to talk about every play. Cheer for every team your team plays. Just an annoyance. So I suggest that one is careful with the female sports fan they choose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [anon 11:56] I wonder how this situation fares with children involved. I guess PTA night can't interfere with a game night either eh? smh.. no recitals for you.. cool.. As long as your significant other likes you that way.. I'm sure it will work, but I hope this is a flexible addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Samantha, guys need to have an outlet, as do women. The thing is when it comes to a relationship both parties have to compromise. Let's say he and his friends rotate hosting major fights, football sunday, etc. When it's his turn cook for them, make sure they have some cold ones and hit the mall with the ladies.

    Now on occassion stay (my preference would be fights and Basketball) but since guys are not crazy about hittin up the malls and we can stand to miss a game plan to shop, do lunch, whatever! That's a win-win.

    Eventually it will evolve to the point where he will appreciate the space and be more considerate in turn and probably begin to "take care of you" so to speak before game time lol. Or at least well enough to hold to over until after.

    TS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon 11:56, you went left. Who said anything about kids? Thats a totally different situation. I dont have any crumb snatchers, but if I had only two choices, be a bad father or a bad husband/ boyfriend, I choose bad husband/ boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. [anon 11:56] Not left, I only meant to address the fact that there are other men who feel the same way you do but do have children. I'm not sure I understand your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think when two people are in a long term relationship it's important for them to have their own 'thing'. Of course, knowing myself I'm sure I would get jealous of a game or two, however, I think that would be the same thing that kept me interested in the guy. I like to be adored as much as the next girl (well actually probably more), but I get bored easily. For me, my guy having an obsession kind of intrigues me. It keeps me guessing and I like that. As long as he is there when it really counts I think I could handle the friendly competition between him and his 'drug of choice'.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion. Also, if you have a question or potential blog topic you would like addressed, dont hesitate to email me at swild21@gmail.com. Also, it's ok to follow me on twitter @EsWild21