Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Spike and I Courtside at the Movies"



I have to admit, I couldn’t wait to type my next blog post. With all the positive feedback, I was getting extremely anxious to answer another serious question from the female race. Actually, I had the next post waiting with the only thing left for me to do is click ‘publish’. But with the timing, I decided to go another direction. Nice weather on an Easter Sunday, why not go to the movies? Why not capitalize on this opportunity to talk my chit?

I will begin with saying Congratulations to Tyler Perry on his successful opening weekend for ‘Why Did I Get Married Too’. Approximately 29.2 million viewers wanted to know how the cast of characters’ lives have changed in the three years since ‘Why Did I Get Married’. Unfortunately, why did I get married is not the question, why did I pay money to go see why did I get married is the question. I will admit that I am not a Tyler Perry movie fan, but I convinced myself to go into the theater with an open mind. I said “Stevie, watch the movie as if you don’t know that the actors will overact; as if you don’t know that the script will be underwritten”. I told myself this. I really wanted to be in the “in” crowd for once and actually agree with everyone. I mean 29.2, even if only 20 million enjoyed the movie its still a success. So people when you read the rest of this post, you should at least know I tried very hard to look the other way and ignore some of the obvious blunders.

There were some entertaining segments throughout the movie. But, I often asked myself, “What’s the purpose”? Perfect example is Angela (Tasha Smith). Angela is too much. Talk about beating a dead horse. Ok, we get it, she’s loud, she’s ghetto, she’s annoying, but why? Does Tyler Perry think he needs to have this ignorant behavior to keep the audience interested? Is it that important that he provides a character that he thinks we can relate to? Was the rant in the television studio really necessary? She already had the rant in the airport, the rants in the “cabana”, and the rant on the beach to name a few. She’s supposed to be an educated woman; a mother and entrepreneur in her mid-30s. I’m just not buying it.

Patricia’s (Janet Jackson) behavior towards Gavin (Malik Yoba) is confusing. I’m sorry, but I need clarification. Isn’t this marriage retreat the good doctor’s idea? I don’t know, I am a bit slow on the weekends sometimes so maybe someone can enlighten me on what appears to be a desperate attempt to make these two boring characters interesting.

The Rock, seriously? The funny cake, you kidding me? Did people really think that was funny?

The hospital scene. Come on, don’t insult my intelligence. That was so cheesy. And how can Patricia have credibility with her friends when they know she destroyed her own marriage. Does Terry (Tyler Perry) really forget about what his wife has done and forgive her simply because Patricia’s crying and feeling guilty.

Sheila (Jill Scott) and Troy (Lamman Rucker). When I first thought about it, I decided not to go in. Obviously I changed my mind. Twice. Sorry, even I battle myself at times. I’ll leave it alone. You guys can fill in the blanks.

The car accident. Tyler, are you trying to distract us from knowing that you didn’t know how to end the movie.

We went on a lot of rides watching this movie, but we ended up at no destination. The amount of lack of closure is so high you damn near want to think this was a scary movie that has rumors that the sequel has already been shot starring new cast members Denzel Washington and Will Smith. If he’s trying to get me to come back and pay to see ‘Why Did I Get Married Again After I Know I Shouldn’t Have Got Married The First Two Times’, he can forget it. Tyler you can reach me at swild21@gmail.com, please hurry up and e-mail me the answers so I can satisfy my fading curiosity.

Sometimes there are comedies that can get away with having laughter and not having a story. This is not one of those times. There are a lot of unnecessary “drama” filled scenes. There is no finality. And I have to keep it real, the ending sucked!

The other day one of my friends said “I was of the elite crowd who has never seen a Tyler Perry movie, can’t say that anymore. But it’s sad that the first thing I said when I left the theater was ‘typical’……”

I wonder what number in 29,200,000 was Spike’s number this past weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Having seen the movie, and enjoyed it can I offer my two cents...I agree with you about Tasha being a bit too much, but not that she can't because she has a degree and is an entrepreneur because we all know, you can take the person out the hood but you can't take the hood out the person. She was too much because as you pointed out, her "scenes" happened too often. We get the point. Other things can be commented on but the point really is...its a story, plain and simple. Its not everyones life to the "T" but it throws in a few pieces of what I can say I have seen in some relationships. Was it perfectly done as someone else may have done it, nope, but it does raise the question, "Why Did I Get Married" and you should be able to answer that, when it happens. No one can answer that and represent all the married couples in the world but Tyler gave a go at it. Again, it is a story, as told by one individual. Its nothing more than entertainment. I've seen worst and kept it moving. Maybe if this man is supported with constructive criticism he can make the next movie better for those of you (ES) who didn't care for how this one was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally I can post(lol) Anywhoo, I agree with IABC. I would like to think that in this one, Tyler wanted to go deeper for the characters making them more "human" if possible. What is crazy is that if Angela's husband wanted to leave, he would have. In some weird way, it works for them. I appreciated that part of the story because some ppl love the drama in their relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i agree with you Tyler was everywhere but im thinking this choppy approach will somehow be presented in a more cohesive view in something titled "whyimstayingmarried" that was my corny way of saying im thinking this will be a trilogy!

    what do you think ES WILD?

    ~ signed Monique

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do i think, hmmm.....one time a lollipop, two times a sucker....you wont get my money again.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your opinion. Also, if you have a question or potential blog topic you would like addressed, dont hesitate to email me at swild21@gmail.com. Also, it's ok to follow me on twitter @EsWild21